Grading & Erosion Control Permit

Permit Requirements

Grading and Erosion Control Permits (PDF) are required when there is any land change greater than 2,500 square feet or 50 cubic yards, or land change on a parcel of land located within a shoreland area or adjacent to a surface water that may result in soil erosion from wind, water and/or ice and the movement of sediments into or upon waters or lands of the city, including but not limited to construction, clearing and grubbing, grading, excavating, transporting and filling of land.

The city has created a Grading and Erosion Control Information (PDF) for more Information on this type of permit. 

Grading and Erosion Control Permits are not needed for the following:

  • Minor land disturbance activities such as home gardens and an individual's home landscaping, repairs and maintenance work affecting less than 2,500 square feet
  • Additions or modifications to existing single-family dwellings that will result in creating under 2,500 square feet of exposed soil and/or impervious surface
  • Construction, installation and maintenance of electric, telephone, and cable television utility lines or individual service connection to these utilities, except where a minimum of 2,500 square feet of land disturbance can be anticipated
  • Tilling, planting or harvesting of agricultural, horticultural or silvicultural crops
  • Installation of fence, sign, telephone, and electric poles and other kinds of posts, bollards or poles
  • Emergency work to protect life, limb, or property and emergency repairs