Building & Permits
Permits are required for a number of construction activities such as decks, driveways, fireplaces, signs, zoning, and more. Permits are also required for garage sales and temporary overnight parking. See the menu on the left for more information about each individual item.
The City of Arden Hills has adopted the 2020 Minnesota State Building Code. Minimum standards have been established to provide a level of safety and performance for all structures. Building inspection Requirements (PDF) are checked during inspections to make sure the minimum standards are being met.
Information for Contractors
Contractors needing to obtain permits in Arden Hills may find the necessary applications and handout on the Information for Contractors webpage.
Information for Residents
Property owners doing work on their own property are allowed to apply for building permits without the need for a contractor’s license. Property owners will be required to complete an Acknowledgement of Property Owner Form (PDF).
Do I need a Permit?
Most home building and remodeling projects require a permit through the city before starting construction. However, some are exempt. Review Which Homebuilding and Remodeling Projects Require a Permit (PDF) for more information.
Permit Application Process
To obtain a permit, you must submit a permit application. Please include the required fee and all necessary materials and information:
- A ten-business days turnaround period applies if city plan review is needed
- Upon approval of the permit, construction must be underway within 180 days or a new permit will be required
- Upon finishing work, please make sure to contact the city so an inspection may be conducted
- A minimum notice of 24 hours is required for all inspections
- When do I need a right of way or utility permit?
- Do I need a permit for work I'm doing near a lake?
- Can I fax or email in a permit?
- What documentation do I need to do work in Arden Hills?
- When do I need to submit a plan or drawing?
- Do I need a permit if I’m just replacing cabinets in my kitchen?
- What is required for siding and roofing inspections?
- Do I need a permit to put in a lawn sprinkler system?