plastic white fence

Fence Permits

A Zoning Permit Application (PDF) is required for any new or expanding fence project in the city. The following requirements will be verified as part of the Zoning Permit review process:

  • Fences may be located up to, but not over property lines (the city recommends placing the fence a few feet back from the property line)
  • The "finished" side of the fence must face outward
  • Fences in side and rear yards may not exceed 6 feet in height
  • Fences in front yards may not exceed 3 feet in height
  • On shoreline lots, fences may not be placed within 25 feet of the ordinary high water line

Related Information

Contact Us

  1. Elena Fransen
    Senior Planner
    Email Elena Fransen

    Jessica Jagoe
    Community Development Director
    Email Jessica Jagoe

    Permit Technician/Office Support Specialist