News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/2/2019 1:32:59 PM to 3/31/2020 8:05:02 AM.
Posted on: December 2, 2019
[ARCHIVED] Winter Weather Tips
Winter Weather Tips
Salting and Sanding
- Use salt and sand for driveways and walkways sparingly.
De-icing salt typically stops working when temperatures fall below 15 degrees.
- Be sure to sweep up salt and sand from bare driveways andsidewalks for reuse and to prevent it from washing away and into storm drains.
- Ramsey County has free salt and sand mix for county residents only. This can be a good alternative to using straight salt on driveways and walkways. The mix is available behind the Ramsey County Public Works building at 1425 Paul Kirkwold Drive (off of Hamline Avenue and Highway 96). Follow the service road around the west side of the building. Residents can take bucket-sized amounts, and must bring their own containers. Truckloads are not allowed. The site is not staffed, so please plan to remove and carry the mix by yourself. The mix is in a truck and labeled free for use. It will be available as long as it lasts.
- Remove your vehicles from the street when snow has
accumulated to two inches and until plows have cleared the street. Overnightparking on city streets is prohibited.
- Do not push snow from your driveway into or across the
- Place trash recycling containers at the end of yourdriveway, rather than in the street, during winter.
- Keep nearby fire hydrants clear of snow to save emergency
- Under Minnesota law, it is illegal to leave the carunattended and running with the keys in the ignition.
- Make certain your tires are properly inflated. Never mix
radial tires with other tire types.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface (wet, ice or sand).