About Arden HillsGovernmentDepartmentsBusiness
Go To Search
RSSPrintEmailFacebookTwitterYouTube
TCAAP Background and History
Background
The Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP) and the Arden Hills Army Training Site (AHATS) comprise nearly 2,370 acres in the northern third of Arden Hills.  The TCAAP site and its history as an ammunition manufacturing facility play a significant role in the incorporation and development of Arden Hills.

Chlorinated solvents were discovered in New Brighton groundwater wells in 1981.  The TCAAP site was placed on the Federal National Priorities (Superfund) list in 1983.  Since that time, extensive environmental investigation and remediation has occurred.

The TCAAP site was largely decommissioned in the 1980's.  The site was divided and used as follows:
  • 1,500 acres west of Lexington Avenue - Arden Hills Army Training Site (AHATS)
  • 173 acres - MnDOT, Ramsey County/Arden Hills Public Works Facility, City Hall
  • 112 acres - Rice Creek North Regional Trail
  • 585 acres - Declared surplus by the General Services Administration (GSA) in 2002

In the early 2000's, the City worked with Ryan Companies on a redevelopment proposal.  The mixed-use Ryan redevelopment plan was ultimately withdrawn in 2009 due to economic unfeasibility in the aftermath of the Great Recession.

After the withdrawal of the Ryan Plan, the City considered designating the entire TCAAP site for parks and open space use.  Ramsey County determined that park use was economically unfeasible and preferred private development to increase the County's tax and employment base.  As a result of these discussions, however, additional TCAAP land was designated for
park and open space use


TCAAP Historical Timeline
 1850  Settlers begin farming the land.
 1941 The federal government acquires 2,370 acres for the manufacture of small arms ammunition. Property owners had 30 days to vacate. The plant was fully operational in 1943. In 16 months and at a cost of $73 million, 300 buildings, 40 miles of electric and telephone wire, 83 miles of sewer, and 37 miles of road and railroad were constructed. At its peak, 26,000 people worked at TCAAP.
 1951 The City of Arden Hills was incorporated. The TCAAP site was included within the City’s boundaries so that when the site was decommissioned, it would be provided with municipal services and governance.
 1976 Ammunitions operations cease.
 1981 Solvents are discovered in New Brighton groundwater wells. 
 1983 TCAAP is placed on the Federal National Priorities (Superfund) list.  
 1987 The U.S. Army begins cleanup with oversight from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 
 1991 Remedial investigation work is completed. 
 1994 The U.S. Army announces its intention to declare a portion of TCAAP as excess federal property. 
 1995 Congressman Bruce Vento appoints the TCCAP Reutilization Committee. The TCAAP Framework Plan (the “Vento Plan”) is prepared to determine the future re-use of the site. 
 2002 The General Services Administration (GSA) declares 585 acres surplus to the federal government’s needs. Through a Request for Proposals process, the City begins working with Ryan Development and its partners on a redevelopment plan (the “Ryan Plan”). 
 2009 The Ryan Plan was withdrawn due to economic infeasibility in the aftermath of the Great Recession. The City and Ramsey County consider designating TCAAP for park and open space use
 2011 Ramsey County works with the Minnesota Vikings who consider TCAAP as a potential stadium site. The State Legislature ultimately chooses a stadium site in Minneapolis. 
 2012 Ramsey County approves an Offer to Purchase 427 acres from the GSA for a net purchase price of $4.9 million. Ramsey County secures a fixed-price demolition and remediation contract in the amount of $22,645,000 which includes remediation to a residential standard. The City and Ramsey County enter into a Joint Powers Agreement.   
 2013 Ramsey County purchases TCAAP.  The City hires Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. to complete a Master Plan, Alternative Urban Areawide Review (AUAR), and Regulation & Policies.

Fabrication Department