About Arden HillsGovernmentDepartmentsBusiness
Go To Search
Domesticated Animals

Chapter 4 of the City Code regulates the keeping of domesticated animals.  Dogs and cats kept in the City are required to be licensed.  

Domesticated Animal Complaints

The City contracts with Ramsey County Sheriff's Department to handle all domestic animal complaints. Residents who are concerned about an issue related to domesticated animals should call the sheriff's non-emergency number of 651-767-0640. The Sheriff's Department will dispatch someone for the situation if it involves domesticated animals (dogs & cats) only.   

Lost or Stray Pets

Lost pets should be reported to the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch at 651-767-0640.

Effective Thursday, March 1, 2018, all stray or lost dogs and cats that are impounded by the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control will be brought to the Saint Paul Animal Control Center, located at 1285 Jessamine Avenue West, in Saint Paul.

The phone number is 651-266-1100. Phone hours are 7:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday

Shelter pick-up hours are 1:00-5:00 pm, Monday-Friday.

Owners claiming their pets will need to show paper proof that the animal is licensed in the city in which they live. Animals are kept for seven business days.


Living With Wildlife

Arden Hills is fortunate to have a topography that includes wooded areas, wetlands, and lakes that are home to a variety of wildlife. Unfortunately, wildlife can cause damage to vegetation, leave behind waste, damage property, and, in rare situations, become aggressive.

The City does not have jurisdiction over wildlife or nuisance animals. Taking (i.e., capturing, relocating, or killing) nuisance animals is addressed in Minnesota State Statutes.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources provides information on living with wildlife:

Related Resources